Monday, February 10, 2014

Work Day Makeup

There are some people in this world we live in that you see and you just can't help but think, "oh my gosh, somebody doesn't love them enough to tell them their makeup is horrible!" One of those places this tends to occur at is at the workplace. There is makeup appropriate for work, and makeup that should be saved for your G-N-O.
My favorite kind of make up alwasy has a hint of flair, becuase lets be honest, you can't be boring and expect people to notice you for anything other than the boring person that never has anything interesting to say and her makeup looks the same everyday! If you feel this might be you, then I DARE YOU to try my methods one day and see what happens! :) Make up gives a girl a certain amount of confidence and umph that is importnat in the workplace for success as well as reputation.

Okay ladies, so as always my rule of thumb is to start with a bare face. It is always safer that way to make sure that your pores will not get completely clogged from the terrible thing that makes us feel like we rule the world, make up. :) 

First things first: cover up those blemishes. For whatever reason, this spot on my face is where I always get pimples, so I love the Nars coverup. I just apply it then use a beauty blender to spread it out to make sure that there are no clumps.

Next is your foundation IF you use it. I love foundation because it smooths out your skin and even the tone throughout your face. 

Then of course, powder comes next. Be sure you always apply your powder in a circular motion to ensure that it will be evenly distributed around your face. Also: please please please do not forget to carry your powder down into your neck region! Too often you see those women out about their days with makeup rings around their necks and it's never pretty. 

For my everyday "work makeup" eyes, I love the Too Faced Natural Eye pallet. I use the top three colors because they are the perfect combination of simplicity and depth; and I mean come on, Too Faced put them together! 

So step 1 of the eyes: put a nude shadow all over your upper and lower lid. It creates a solid skin tone that the other shadow colors can decorate. On the Too Faced pallet I used Heaven.

Step 2: use a darker nude on the upper eyelid only. Not on the area underneath the brow (excuse mine, I know they are bad right now. Thickening them up is NEVER a pretty process.) From the Too Faced pallet it's called Velvet Revolver and it's also one of my most favorite staple shadow colors. 

Step 3: create that crease! A crease is a great thing to have on the eye becuase it gives it depth and dimension it otherwise would lack. I like to use the Sephora Crease brush to create mine. From the Too Faced pallet it is a shadow called Sexpresso. 

This picture is just to show you that a crease is indeed a miracle worker, especially if you feel you have "flat eyes". It breaks up the single color shadows and makes your eyes look larger and when using the right color combination, it can make your eye color pop! Some people don't know this and it took a while before I got the hang of it, but with practice and time, one begins to understand eye color and shadow combinations:
blue eyes: brown/nude shadows
brown eyes: purple shadows
green eyes: both of the above when used correctly are beautiful!
*just a helpful hint since nobody ever told me that :)

Step 4: eyeliner baby! Because it is work, you don't want a harsh dark eye so liner on the top only is perfect because it adds more character to your eyes without overpowering them. Liquid eyeliner or an eye pencil in this case are perfect. However, sometimes I find using a dark eye shadow and applying with an eyeliner brush is always a lovely accent as well. 

Next comes battle of the brows! Everyone has a different preference for eyebrows. Some people like them thick, some thin. Some prefer straight lines and some prefer high arches. I like mine to be darker and arched more towards the back of the brow. It's different but it's simply what I like. :) In this picture I have filled in my left eyebrow with my Smashbox Brow On The Go pencil. 

Your eyebrows transform your look in every way, so branch out and try something new with them! The great thing though is that if you hate a different look, they will always grow back in, as I am experiencing right now!

To complete your eyes, you must have mascara darling! The way I put mascara on is different from everyone else, but that's okay. I have started doing my bottom lashes first. Why? Because when you do them you're looking up and I got tired of having a row of little black dots under my brows when I was finished, so I switched it up! 

Of course next comes the top lashes! 

I know they look dramatic when you look down, but they are simple and gorgeous when you look straight ahead! And sweetheart, that's professional. 

CHEEKS!! This is my favorite blush pallet from Nars. It has absolutely wonderful shades of reds and the perfect pink with a bronze blush and a highlighter. I simply love it. 

For my blush I used the middle row of blushes from the photo above to create a two tone look that is slightly darker on the bottom and lighter on the top.
** Reminder: if you ever feel like you have put on too much blush, you can always apply more powder over it to soften it until you are happy with the intensity of the color!

This is one of my absolute favorite Nars lipsticks called Roman Holiday. It is a perfect light rosy pink and perfect for the office place! 

Roman Holidy lipstick does not draw attention but it doesn't really go unnoticed either. It's the perfect shade for any meeting and a staple to always have in your purse!

Thank you all so much for reading and I hoped I might have given some tips to save your efforts when applying your makeup and hopefully provided a process that does not take an extended amount of time (everyone is different) because in the mornings, WHO HAS TIME FOR THAT??!! XOXO Larryn

























No comments:

Post a Comment